Print (Lithograph)

  • Title:

    RED LION CAMP MEETING.

  • Category:

    Prints and Maps

  • Creator (Role):

    A. T. Scott (Draftsman)

    Peter S. Duval (Lithographer)

    Cyrus Stern (Publisher)

  • Place of Origin:

    Wilmington, New Castle, Delaware, Mid-Atlantic, United States, North America

  • Date:

    1853

  • Materials:

    Ink; Watercolor; Paper (wove)

  • Techniques:

    Lithography, Hand colored

  • Museum Object Number:

    1969.0904 A


  • Complete Details



Object Number

1969.0904 A

Object Name

Print (Lithograph)

Title

RED LION CAMP MEETING.

Category

Prints and Maps

Credit Line/Donor

Bequest of Henry Francis du Pont

Creator (Role)

A. T. Scott (Draftsman)
Not listed in Peters, America on Stone.

Peter S. Duval (Lithographer)
1804/1805-02/09/1886
References: Last, The Color Explosion, pp. 72-3; Peters, America on Stone, pp.163-8. Peter S. Duval was among the earliest and foremost lithographers in the United States. He trained as a lithographer in Paris, where Cephas G. Childs of Philadelphia met him in 1831 while touring Parisian lithographic firms and persuaded him move to Philadelphia to work in his company. Childs later sold his interest in the firm to Duval and George Lehman in 1834, after which time the company was known as Lehman & Duval. They moved the business to a building at Dock Street and Bank Alley in 1835. When Lehman resigned in 1837, the firm assumed the name of P. S. Duval's Lithographic Establishment. He relocated this firm to the second floor of the Artisans' Building, between Fourth and Fifth Streets, between Chestnut and Market, in 1848. It remained there until the building was destroyed by fire on April 11, 1857, then reopened at Fifth and Minor Streets. At that time, Duval's son, Stephen D. Duval (1832-, joined the business and the name changed to P.S. Duval & Son. Peter S. Duval retired in 1869, and Stephen continued to run the firm in partnership with Thomas Hunter under the name of Duval and Hunter in 1870-71. Their partnership ended in 1874 and Hunter continued to run the business under his own name until the late 1880s. Peter S. Duval is best known for publishing periodicals with his own firm, as well as with the concern of Huddy & Duval (Duval entering in partnership with William M. Huddy from 1839-40). He was one of the first to experiment with color lithography and is credited with the first color printing in the United States with the illustraton of "Grandpa's Pet" in the April 1843 issue of Leslie's Magazine. His was the first major lithographic firm in Philadelphia to use steam-powered presses (after the move to the Artisans' Building in 1848). Duval's was Philadelphia's major lithographic firm during the 1850s and 1860s.

Cyrus Stern (Publisher)

Place of Origin

Wilmington, New Castle, Delaware, Mid-Atlantic, United States, North America

Date

1853

Mark or Signature or Inscription or Label

1. Inscription; Lower left beneath image; Sketch by A. T. Scott.
2. Inscription; Lower right beneath image; Lith. of P. S. Duval & Co.
3. Inscription; Center beneath image; Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1853, by Cyrus Stern, in the Clerk's Office of the District Court of Delaware.
4. Inscription; Bottom center; Published by Cyrus Stern, No. 27 Market Street, Wilmington, Delaware.

Subjects

Historical; Religious imagery

Materials

Ink; Watercolor; Paper (wove)

Techniques

Lithography, Hand colored

Dimensions (inches)

12.1 (H) , 16.02 (W) , 11.2 (Image H) , 14.3 (Image W)

Dimensions (centimeters)

30.8 (H) , 40.68 (W) , 11.2 (Image H) , 14.3 (Image W)

Measurement Notes

H at right. W at center.

Publisher Summary

Stern, Cyrus

Publication Date

1853

Place of Publication

No. 27 Market Street, Wilmington, New Castle County, Delaware, Mid-Atlantic, United States, North America

Watermark

none

Coloring

Hand colored with watercolors

Object Description

Text available soon.

Bibliography and Bibliographic Notes

[Book] Fowble, E. McSherry. 1987 Two Centuries of Prints in America, 1680-1880 : A Selective Catalogue of the Winterthur Museum Collection.
Published: no. 244, pp. 351-352.